Navigating a boating accident may be a frightening experience, but taking the correct measures right once is critical to ensuring the safety of all parties involved and protecting your legal rights, especially if you live in Florida, a state with a high rate of watercraft accidents. If you or someone you know has been involved in a boating accident, call us today to discuss your options. Our experienced attorneys work to ensure that each case is defended with the utmost care and concern for our clients. Here are some important actions to take following a florida boating accident lawyer :
Steps Should I Take Immediately After a Boating Accident in Florida:
- Ensure Safety First: First and foremost, you must ensure the safety and well-being of everyone on board. Examine for injuries and provide first assistance as needed. If someone is critically hurt, dial 911 immediately and ask for medical help. Use life jackets and other flotation equipment to keep everyone afloat if your boat begins to take on water.
- Call the Police: You must call the authorities as soon as possible after the accident, whether you are at fault or not. Please have your boat cleared of all passengers and provide all information about who was on board when the accident occurred so the police can conduct their investigation. Even if you are at fault and did not hit anything or anyone, call the authorities to report what happened in case details are lost or forgotten upon returning to your boat.
- Exchange Information: Once you’ve confirmed that everyone is safe and the authorities have been notified, gather any information you may need regarding witnesses, vehicles involved, weather conditions, and anything else that may help your case. Take pictures of the accident site and any damage to your boat or other property. Collect your insurance information and contact the insurance agency representing the other party once you are sure there are no injuries.
- Get a Lawyer: Have a lawyer help you assess your situation and determine whether or not you have a legal claim for compensation. Please do not delay in contacting a personal injury attorney because time is of the essence when it comes to protecting your rights in such cases. If you do not have a lawyer, immediately contact an attorney referral service to find the best lawyer in your area.
- Follow Boating Regulations: Comply with boating regulations so you will not be charged with a crime. For example, if you were in an accident after consuming alcohol, you could still be arrested for boating under the influence (BUI). Make sure you have the correct license and permit for your vessel and that it is in good working order.
In conclusion, timely and proper action following a boating accident in Florida is critical for assuring safety, complying with legal obligations, and preserving your rights. Your main objectives should always be safety and reporting, and consulting with legal specialists can assist you in negotiating the complicated aftermath of a boating accident.