Suffering an injury on someone else’s property due to unsafe conditions can turn your life upside down. Between medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and unfamiliar legal processes, pursuing compensation seems daunting. But an experienced premises liability lawyer can handle the complex legal issues stemming from your accident so you can focus on healing.
Premises liability lawyers have extensive expertise in proving property owner negligence, establishing liability, navigating claims processes, and securing maximum compensation for accident victims. Their legal skills can greatly improve your odds of obtaining damages after being injured on another’s property.
What Does a Premises Liability Lawyer Do?
A premises liability lawyer advocates for accident victims by:
- Investigating the accident circumstances to build a negligence case – examining the hazardous condition, site layout, contributing factors, etc.
- Gathering evidence like photographs, video footage, contracts, inspection reports, and witness statements to prove liability
- Identifying all potentially negligent parties – property owners, managers, maintenance companies, contractors, etc.
- Consulting premises safety and building code experts to demonstrate standards were violated
- Advising clients if the “slip and fall” or other accident warrants a premises liability lawsuit
- Determining the full scope of financial damages due to medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, etc.
- Filing the premises liability lawsuit and handling all paperwork, calls, and proceedings
- Negotiating optimal settlements with insurance companies by employing their litigation experience
- Taking uncooperative cases to court before a judge and jury when fair settlements cannot be reached
Key Benefits of Hiring a Premises Liability Lawyer
Pursuing compensation after being injured on another’s property is extremely difficult without legal help. Premises liability lawyers provide:
Property Safety Code Expertise – They possess specialized knowledge of local building codes, hazard management standards, liability rules, and factors defining negligence on properties open to the public.
Slip & Fall Accident Insight – They have extensive experience with trip and fall accident causes, injury types, liability disputes, and defense tactics germane to premises cases.
Hazard Investigation Skill – Lawyers are experts at investigating conditions like wet floors, poor lighting, defective stairs, lack of handrails, etc. that cause premises accidents.
Property Management Understanding – They know property manager duties, maintenance contracting, hazard remediation, and other premises ownership intricacies that intersect with liability.
Settlement Negotiation Experience – Premises liability lawyers regularly maximize injury settlement compensation from insurers based on negligence strength.
Key Services a Premises Liability Lawyer Provides
Specific services a premises liability lawyer can provide for an injured client include:
- Free case review – Assess the strength of negligence claims and viability of a lawsuit
- On-site investigation – Inspect and photograph accident scenes while conditions match those at the time of injury
- Evidence gathering – Obtain video footage, contracts, inspection reports, training records, etc. to establish liability
- Liability research – Pinpoint responsible property owners, managers, maintenance companies, or other potentially negligent parties
- Witness interviews – Locate and obtain official statements from anyone who observed hazardous conditions
- Expert consultation – Retain specialists to detail how premises failed to meet safety standards
- Legal filings – Handle all required documents, calls, correspondence, and proceedings
- Medical cost determination – Work with doctors to fully calculate short and long-term injury costs
- Settlement negotiation – Leverage courtroom experience to obtain maximum allowable compensation through settlement or trial
- Injury advice – Provide ongoing counsel on legal rights, options, and best actions throughout the case
Tips for Finding the Right Premises Liability Lawyer
Not all attorneys possess the same experience and resources for premises liability cases. When choosing legal representation, consider:
- Lawyers who concentrate specifically on premises liability – general personal injury lawyers often lack niche expertise
- Attorneys with extensive slip/trip and fall or other premises accident case experience
- Lawyers who have achieved sizable financial recoveries for past injured clients
- Law firms with resources to handle large defendants and insurance companies
- Willingness to take valid cases to trial if fair pre-trial settlements cannot be reached
- Responsive communicators who will explain options and provide personalized attention
- Member of respected lawyer associations and groups related to premises liability
- Affordable fee structures – many personal injury lawyers work on contingency bases
- Referrals from trusted professionals familiar with local lawyer reputations